Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Using a blog in my classroom

Chapter two of Richardson's book lists several ways to use weblogs in the classroom on pages 38 and 39. I would start small as he suggests in chapter 5 and create a place to post homework assignments and relevant class links. I was encouraged to find out that there is a "Blogger for Word" tool so I can check for spelling and grammar as I am a Language Arts teacher at the high school level. This would also be a way for me to add links or pictures relating to our literature. I really like the idea of adding video clips as A & E provides excellent documentaries on time periods we cover in my Sophomore World Literature classes. I also liked the idea of posting a question each day for them to think about and respond to as I feel more comfortable with the class blog concept. I was encouraged to find out that there is a "Blogger for Word" tool so I can check for spelling and grammar as I am a Language Arts teacher at the high school level. Having students respond to the literature we are reading would be a helpful assessment tool as not all students feel comfortable volunteering answers or speaking out in class as well as there is usually not time to hear from every student in a 52 minute class period. Requiring individual responses forces the student to analyze and synthesize their own opinions and responses to class content.

2 comments:

  1. I do agree that blogging is a great tool for students to participate. It gives you a chance to check for understanding. The only thing you may want to consider is having the students posting a blog daily. This would mean you would have to read through over a 100 blog postings a day. My only suggestion would be to space the assignments out over the week. Jenee Cross

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of posting a question to the students to check for understanding and agree with Jenee that you may become overwhelmed with so many blog posts from your students. One way to have the students facilitate the learning is to have them take ownership of the blogs and I mean by this, have them answer your blog post and then post a response to two other fellow classmates a reaction to their blog post. Students will be self motivated to learn the content if they need to answer to other classmates. Noreen

    ReplyDelete